Saturday, July 19, 2008

Life

The other day I had the opportunity to attend the funeral of my great aunt who passed away on my birthday. I didn't really know her, but was encouraged to go by my dad to represent our family. I was so glad that I attended. As I heard the stories of her life and sat there I realized what an amazing thing life is...and how I should never take it for granted. I feel that so many times in my life I only hope for the next phase...for example: "Oh things will be wonderful when I'm done with school!" or "When I get married life will be great". I have realized that I need to live in the moment and enjoy each phase as it comes. I feel like life flies by so fast...I mean where have my first 20 years gone?! But each day is a new adventure and I'm grateful for the opportunity to live it.
As I sat in the funeral my thoughts were also turned to those important people who have had a great impact on my life. Every time I attend a funeral I think of my mom, and remember the day that I attended her funeral. Besides my dad, she has had the greatest impact on my life, and I believe still does. I want to please her and make her proud, and I feel like that helps me to be a better person. She is the most caring, giving, and courageous person I have every known. I feel so much a part of her, and love the similarites that we share. Even though I only had her here for 14 years, I feel that I have been so blessed to have her as my mom and to still learn of her through letters she has left behind. She had so many friends and was one of those people that everyone just adored. I'm so grateful for the plan of salvation and to know that I will see her again. That news brings me so much comfort and peace. I'm grateful for each day and for the gift of life! It's such a wonderful, beautiful thing and I'm grateful for all of the people in my life who help to make it so great :).

4 comments:

jeremyandleslie said...

Thanks for making me cry Ash! That was a beautiful post! You're an amazing chica! Your mom is and always will be so proud of you! Love ya!

Tay and Teigan said...

Wow. That made me cry too! Your mom is and was such a wonderful person. And you are making her so proud!

The Carlsens said...

I have a wonderful memory with your mom. It includes the mall, mcdonalds and a happy meal : ) I was pretty young so I only remember vague details. You are such a wonderful girl who has turned into a beautiful woman!

KMurray said...

I love your mom too! She was such a fun friend to have. She is very proud of you I am sure! You are so talented and beautiful! I think about her and your family often! Tell your brother and Dad I from me.
Kaylene